Monday, November 16, 2015

Let's get real

Inspirational quotes, especially those dealing with resiliency, have frequently been included in the books and articles I've written over the years.

I would also often quote or paraphrase them for patients I saw who had suffered a loss as encouragement.

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved."
"When in doubt, just take the next small step."
"Life isn't always fair, but it's still good."
"Everything can change in the blink of the eye. But don't worry; God never blinks."
"Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying."

I've learned that such quotes, however, are much easier to accept and be uplifted by when things, such as a major life event or loss are imaginary, not reality.

"It's different when the thing happens to oneself, not to others."

I didn't completely appreciate that in the past.

I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment