Friday, February 23, 2018

Bereavement fear

One of my best friends gave me the short book by C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed.

It's about his thoughts on life, death, and faith while in the midst of a loss.

He wrote it after the death of his wife.

It illustrates how a strong Christian can question, and then rediscover, his faith when navigating through bereavement/grief.

I've read it 4-5 times-each re-read brings new insights.

The first sentence of the first chapter:

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."

I had crazy fears after the loss of T-it was strangely reassuring to read this simple sentence.

There's another sentence, in the 1st chapter, to illustrate that grief is the gift that keeps on giving:

"I not only live each endless day in grief, but live each day thinking about living each day in grief."

William Shakespheare noted "everyone can master a grief but he that has it."

I wanted to remind so many (all of whom had the best of intentions), of this, who implied that I should consider socializing more relatively soon after T's death.

Fear, eventually, does abate and grief, considerably, softens.

But it takes time.

Take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment